A marketing campaign is more than just an email and frequently StoneShot is just a part of this wider campaign.
Whilst with our integrations we aim to help centralise your statistics, a lot of our clients are using Google Analytics (GA) to bring results from multiple areas together. We’ve created an option for users to include your GA tags on all of the links within their email.
Users will be able to tag their email campaigns with up to five UTM tags. A UTM code is a simple code that can be attached to a custom URL in order to track a source, medium, campaign name, term and content. This enables Google Analytics to tell users where their contacts have come from as well as what campaign directed them to there.
For example, was it from StoneShot or was it from a website?
Using the integration
If Google Analytics isn’t enabled, get in touch with the Support team who will be able to enable Google Analytics for you.
What they will need to know is if you wish to change the default values for utm_source or utm_medium as Email.
As standard, utm_source is set to ‘StoneShot’, and utm_medium is set to ‘Email’. Just let the team know if you want these amended, and this will apply to all newly created emails going forward.
Applying the UTM tags to a new email
- When you create your email, on the Summary tab you’ll see a new toggle under ‘More Options’. Click the toggle to Enable Google Analytics.
- Enter the values as required. The default values for Source and Medium will be pulled through. Campaign Name will match the template name, but this can be amended. If you don’t need Medium, Term or Content, simply leave them blank.
- Save the Summary screen. Create your template as normal.
- Once created, when you go to the ‘Test’ tab ensure Google Analytics tags have been added. Your links will look like this:
You can now add tracking as normal with the usual button.
Adding to an existing email
- If you want to add to an existing email, on the Summary tab click the toggle to Enable Google Analytics.
- Enter the value for Campaign Name. This could be as simple as matching the template name.
- Save the Summary screen. This will remove any StoneShot email tracking from the template but will have added the Google Analytics utm_ tags to all of the links in the template.
- You can now go to the Test tab to add the StoneShot tracking as normal.
Adding different utm tags per link in the same email
There might be a situation where you want to have different UTM values across the links in your email. You can do this by blanking out the utm fields you want to change on the summary screen, and then applying them manually on each link in your template.
Ensure that the Google Analytics toggle is ON otherwise any manual entries will still be removed.
Campaign Name and Campaign Source are unable to be removed as these are required fields.
Things to look out for
If this message pops up:
You will need to add the StoneShot tracking (not the Google Analytics tracking) again from the Test tab. This is deliberate and is to ensure accuracy for users when editing Google Analytics values.
Make any updates to your template, and then go to the Test tab to check the Google Analytics tracking has been added (or removed – depending on what you have selected), and that the ‘normal’ StoneShot tracking is in place.
Form more information on Google Analytics, take a look at our Video below.
In this article